Emergency: Call 911
"The mission of the Thunderbolt Fire Department is to minimize loss of life, property and environment in the Town of Thunderbolt from both natural and man-made disasters, life threatening situations and to assist other emergency agencies. We will achieve this mission through professional/progressive training and fire education while providing first class services to our community."
- The Thunderbolt Fire Department is a combination career/volunteer fire department located in Chatham County, Georgia.
- The department was originally founded as an all-volunteer organization in 1949, it has since developed into a 24/7 career staffed fire department that is supplemented by a volunteer component.
- Thunderbolt Fire Department is overseen by a Chief F. A. Bateman.
- The department handles all its day-to-day operations from a single firehouse, located at 2702 Mechanics Avenue. The department currently operates with (3) Class A Pumpers (Squad 51, Engine 51, Engine 52) and a Mini-Pumper (Special Service 51).
- The fire department responds to an average of 500 emergency calls per year. The Thunderbolt Fire Department handles fire suppression, protection and prevention, rescue duties and inspections within the Town of Thunderbolt and the Isle of Armstrong. We do provide non-transport medical response service to an Emergency Medical Responder level.
- Thunderbolt Fire Department is an ever-growing, professional, aggressive, proactive department. We hold strong to our history and traditions. Our career and volunteer personal are dedicated to providing the highest quality of service to the best of our ability, as a single team, working together to reach a common goal.
Volunteer Firefighter applications are accepted at all times.
To apply for a full-time position with the Thunderbolt Fire Department,
Click here to download the application.
Please contact the Thunderbolt Fire Station for any questions or comments: